- 24 Ounces Canned Red Kidney Beans
- 3 Large Vidalia Sweet Onions
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- Salt to Tast
Ready In 45 Minutes
- Peel and slice onions against the grain, This will cut through the cells and allow the juices to be released and creates very creamy, soft onions when browned.
- Slowly brown the onions in the olive oil allowing them to reduce and become very soft.
- Add canned beans with liquid and reduce to whole on a low simmer until the consistency of baked beans.
- Stir in liquid smoke and salt to taste.
- Note:Vidalia onions are incredibly sweet by nature and have very little spice to them. In this recipe, I created a twist on the classic baked beans dishes that use brown sugar, molasses, etc. to create sweetness in the dish. The version I made was very rich and sweet, but all of that came from the onions. This dish also happens to be vegan, but tastes a lot like you used smoked pork. If you cannot find Vidalia Sweet Onions, which only come from Georgia, you could substitute Walla Wall Sweet Onions, Mayan Sweets, or Maui Sweets.